Door Knock Security ScamsJuly 6, 2020 4:37 pm
Door knock scams are rampant during the peak summer months. What they entail are out-of-state traveling salespeople trying to sell security systems and services in your area. The “security experts” go door to door and mostly make egregious claims to consumers in homes for a signed contract. Once inside your home, they mainly use high pressure or scare sales tactics to get your signature.
If You Ever See an Unsolicited Sales Person at Your Door You Should:
- Ask for a identification. Every employee of a UL Listed, FM Approved Security Company is required to carry a Massachusetts Public Safety License, ask to see theirs to confirm their authenticity, chances are they won’t have one.
- Never sign on the spot. This is usually a good rule to follow in general, but especially true when it is something as important as your home and family’s safety. Take the time to learn and do your own research regarding the matter, so when the time comes you are informed of the decision.
- Nothing is free. Many of these door-to-door salesmen make promises they can’t back up. For example, a common tactic is to guarantee you a free home security system with a signed contract. However what wasn’t made clear is the extraordinarily high monthly fee associated with the system for a minimum of 36 months.
- Do your research. We recommend to only trust your life safety with a reputable, trusted alarm company, not the first one to knock on your front door. Take the time to read reviews and other customers experiences with a company before you sign, they are usually telling of what you can expect.
- Contact the authorities. These companies tend to target elder homeowners that may not know any better. By speaking up, you are protecting your neighbors that may not know better.
Nobody wants to feel cheated, ripped off, or scammed. That is why it is so important to recognize these situations. Many of the times if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
If you have questions about Lexington Alarm Systems, our sales practices, our services or upgrading your current system, call us anytime at (781) 275-4200.Contact Us
Categorized in: Uncategorized